16 July 2008

I made some chickpeas today, and noticed that I had no potatoes (chickpeas and potatoes are a classic Indian combo that works extremely well together). I did, however have plantains. I peeled them (because for this particular recipe, I was trying to get close to the texture of potatoes. I diced them up, and microwaved them for about five minutes. I added it into the chickpeas (with cumin seeds, sesame seeds, turmeric, onions, ginger, and garlic). It's freaking AWESOME! I prefer them to potatoes, because they stay together better, and don't make a mushy mash.

2 comments:

  1. wonderful idea! i never would have thought of that! how would i cook the plantains in a toaster oven instead of a microwave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't! Peeled plantains take very little time to cook on the stove. If you cook them along with chickpeas, you should be able o crank them out relatively quickly. Maybe ten to fifteen minutes or so, covered over medium low heat. I only chucked them in the microwave to move things along faster for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete