24 February 2010

I saw it on FB

Someone started a group asking whether it'd be nice if they paid you to have fun rather than work.

I don't get it.

I thought that work IS fun.

People often ask what I'd do with unlimited money. I'd travel, surely. I'd make a few investments. I'd probably even get a couple of frivolous things, send some cash to charity, and tie up loose ends here and there. Then?

I'd cook. Then I'd tell people what I'd cooked. Hum. Sound familiar? I'd go on the internet, and research new and interesting ways of making things. Check. I'd continue to tweak my computer and the computers that I come into contact with for maximum performance. I'd keep writing.

Huh.

Guess I'm a pretty wealthy man then, eh? Why? Because (and don't tell my boss) I'm getting PAID to do what I'd be doing if I didn't have to get paid in the first place. Yes, there are challenges. But at the end of the day, what can you think of that's fun or worth doing, that has no challenge in it? Yes, there are mistakes. But I'm human. Mistakes are what help me learn. If you gave me a million billion dollars, I'd spend a bit first. Then I'd go back to doing what I've been doing all along.